Timeline (Reverse Chronological Order)
- 3/13/2020: All SAT testing on 3/14/2020 is cancelled at all sites in DPS.
- 3/13/2020: Conformed: DPS will be out of school for a scheduled 3 weeks after which is to be determined. Also, a press conference will be held at 2:00 pm to announce this decision and more details.
- 3/12/2020: Tune-in to the School Board discussing the virus now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfAuNpziiDoDPS waives attendance part of the exemption policy for non-state testing.
- DPS is closing off all facilities to rentals to all organizations including churches and basketball groups.
- Durham only gets three tests county-wide. They are also on back-order, so the county does not have them currently.
- DPS will be closed, starting Monday, 3/16/2020.
- 3/12/2020: The NBA and MLS have postponed their regular seasons indefinitely.
- 3/12/2020: The NCAA announced that he men’s and women’s basketball fans will be played in empty stadiums.
- 3/12/2020: The ACC, PAC 12, Big Ten and SEC also cancelled their tournaments this morning.
- 3/12/2020: 3/11/2020: NC Governor Roy Cooper will hold a news conference this afternoon to share virus updates and the state’s response. Cooper said yesterday that “people should expect ‘some tough decisions’ in the coming days that will be critical, even if unpopular. Also, 14 people have now been confirmed in NC. (source: N&O)
- 3/12/2020: Riverside principal Tonya Williams will hold a brief faculty meeting after school today to update RHS teachers on the state and district’s action steps.
- 3/11/2020: President Trump announced travel restrictions and economic support measures last night. All flights from 26 countries in Europe (in addition to China and S. Korea, which were previously stopped) will be halted for 30 days starting Friday at midnight.
- Link to CNN live updates on the ban: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-12-20-intl-hnk/index.html
- 3/11/2020: DPS school board held an emergency meeting last night. Superintendent Pascal Mubenga announced several new steps: The school board also has a regularly scheduled work session tonight. Link to DPS response to Coronavirus and future meetings (Live videos of the meeting linked):https://www.dpsnc.net/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=450&ViewID=6446EE88-D30C-497E-9316-
Coronavirus-Flu Comparison and Symptom Commonality
|Deaths in US||41||20,000|
|Potential Deaths in US||11,124,800||25,000|
|Cough||Common (Usually Dry)||Common (Usually Dry)|
|Shortness of Breath||Sometimes||Never|
|Diarrhea||Rare||Sometimes in Children|
Current Coronavirus Stories and Podcasts: